Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Longest, Saddest Time of the Year

January, February and March have, traditionally been hard on me. The weather is dark and dreary. My surroundings are colorless, gray, and either frozen or muddy. I am so cold that it feels like I will never get warm again, and this year is even worse than usual.
Still, even during these months, I have little things to keep me happy. I am committed to updating this blog, even though I doubt anyone reads it. It still helps to be able to gather my thoughts together into some form of cohesive whole. I have this lovely little craft room, where I can lock the cats out with a board and still lbe near my husband, where I can pretend that the only things I need to worry about are my crafts, and where I can wrap myself up in a wooly blanket and crank my tiny heater. I have my sweet kitties, who are always ready to stop and cuddle, and my husband, who is also always ready to stop and cuddle.

I gathered some more acorns and caps today, I am thinking about making a string of them to use as a garland. I also picked some dried juniper berries, because they smelled so yummy.

I also have been enjoying my walks to and from school. It is only a mile there, so in the mornings it gives me an opportunity to gear up for my day, and on the way back I can meditate on the actions and events of the day and file them all away, so that when I get home I can put it all aside and relax. I also spot plenty of interesting things, like this pretty lichen.

It was so nice and orange, I knew Bunny would love it at once. She likes orange things. Also, like I promised, here are the results of Stage One of the Great Ice Installation.

Here is the ice cakes on the string. Not at all what I was expecting, but super pretty. I moved the net closer to the waterfall to see how it interacted with the spray. More Pictures tomorrow!  In the meantime, here are some of the natural ice formations around the stream. 



No comments:

Post a Comment