Monday, January 31, 2011

Ice Fishing and Other Vegetarian Pastimes

On the walk to campus, i have to cross a slightly rickety old footbridge with an icy cold stream underneath. This morning, I observed the result of a week of under 40 degree weather. Icicles. HUGE icicles lining the bottom of the bridge. I saw that they were formed by the splashing as the stream ran over some rocks next to the bridge.
This spawned an idea for a fascinating art installation/ science experiment.
I ran home for some woolen yarn, (biodegradable in case of accidents) and scissors, and found a large stick nearby. After tying a rather halfhazard series of lines on the stick, i lowered the yarn ends into the water. Hmm. Not visually stimulating enough. I retrieved the stick, retyed the yarn into a loose net, and tried again. Ahh! However, the ends of the yarn, instead of dangling in the water, floated along the surface. I retrieved it again and, after prying gravel out of the frozen path, tried again. Perfect! I wedged the end of the stick in some roots and left it. Tonight we will have a low of 12, perfect for lots of ice formation. I took several pictures before I left, and will go out and take some bright and early tomorrow morning.  I am too lazy to post any pictures tonight, as the photoshop cleanup, (contrast and levels adjustment) will take half an hour and my other computer (the one in the craft room).
I have plans for several other experiments with water, ice and yarn, including weaving yarn around existing icicles and seeing how new ice forms. There will be plenty of documentation for you all, never fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment