Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fog, Blogs and Batik Remnants

The best therapy, I have been told, is to keep busy. If that is so, than I have enough therapy to last a hundred lifetimes. Between working graveyards on the weekends, being a full time student AND a full time housewife, and all of the projects I keep getting myself into, I hardly have a moment to just sit and be myself. Yoga has been very helpful, though and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

Walking to school on Wednesday was an quiet and introspective experience, due to the massive amounts of fog. It was so thick that I felt like I was the only person in an unformed world, that I could reach out and impose my will on the shapelessness around me.  It was so cold that the fog had frozen like frost on cobwebs and grass. When I got to class, I finally felt cleansed of all of the miasma of misery, loss and self doubt that had surrounded me for so long.







Then a teacher took it upon himself to ruin my lovely introspective mood by telling me to be grateful that I had lost my baby because it would interfere with my studies, and that a little grief was good for my art. I wanted to kill the bastard. Luckily, I am a coward and was able to choke back my grief and rage long enough to go back to work. If I had an ounce of self-respect, I would file a formal complaint with the Dean. Luckily for him, I am to chicken to rock the boat.


Anyway, on to more interesting news. It turns out my new nephew is due in May, not March, so I have plenty of time. I spent the afternoon sorting fabrics into piles all over the floor to see how many batik remnants i managed to steal from my old roommate, the Quilting Queen.  I have decided on a quilt with a plain square background in blues and greens, then I will applique orange and red koi fish on top. The hand quilting around the fish will imitate ripples, with a celtic braid around the edge. It's gonna be about 4x3 feet.

I am almost done with my sister's legwarmers, although I was disgusted to discover that the two balls of yarn I got were from two different dye lots! One is a pale cream, and one is a slightly more beige cream. I am highly annoyed and will most likely have to overdye with coffee or tea. Is salt the correct mordant for tea?  I will have to check.

No comments:

Post a Comment