Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer at Last.

Finals are over at last, and I am in the process of transferring my degree over to Evergreen for my last two quarters. Why am I hitting up another school when I am less than a year away from my degree? Three reasons. One, as an artist, I am stagnating at this school. My teacher and I are having some pretty big issues and I need a fresh outlook on ceramics. Two, the house we are living in is unsafe for Little Hawk at this point. His condition continues to deteriorate and this house isn't really that accessible. Also, we need to be closer to his doctors. If every drive to see his doc costs us $75, we aren't ever going to be able to pay off the ER trips that have gone to collections, let alone get me new glasses and dental care. Third, almost everyone that we know here is moving away, and we had precious few friends in the area to begin with. Little Hawk is lonely and miserable, and I have only a few people who I can lean on for help when it all becomes too much. This last quarter was awful, and without the support we had, we might not have pulled through. We need more help.

Not everything is dreary and terrible. My Etsy shop is back up and running, full of lovely things and making me a few dollars that I can spend on wool. I recently bought some Romeldale silvery lilac wool, and it is LOVELY. I washed and carded it up this morning, and I can hardly wait to spin this stuff. It is soft and downy, a pale grey that is almost blue with golden tips, and I have a special project in mind for it.
I want to knit a shawl. Not just any  shawl, but one knit from the lace edging up, cast on in charcoal wool, with the lace section in my lilac romeldale, and the plain center in white. It's a similar idea to the shawl that the Yarn Harlot knitted a month back.
It will be a spectacular shawl, and it's going to be a gift for my mother.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there :-)

    And if you're ever in Seattle, hit me up! I'd love to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Great to hear from you after a while. Listen, if there is anything you ever need from me, feel free to contact me. I have been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks, Arkedelos. I missed you too! Blogspot is so much easier to handle than LiveJournal, I've abandoned my blog over there ever since they started doing that annoying pop-up ad thing.

    ReplyDelete